Return To Minutes Directory

Anguilla Archaeological and Historical Society Limited

MINUTES OF A BOARD MEETING

HELD AT YOUTH AND CULTURE CONFERENCE ROOM ON 5 May 2009

 

PRESENT:

Kenn Banks                President

Steve Donahue           Treasurer

Don Mitchell                Secretary

Joash Proctor

Bob Conrich

Jan Liebaers               (Invited)

 

ABSENT:

Aileen Smith                Vice-President [off island]

 

1. Commencement: The meeting began at 4:35 pm. 

 

2. Agenda: The following Agenda was adopted:

 

AGENDA

1.         Adoption of Agenda

2.         Adoption of the Board Minutes of 7 April 2009

3.         Matters Arising

4.         Correspondence

5.         New Business

6.         Any Other Business

7.         Adjournment

 

3. Adoption of the Board Minutes of 7 April 2009

The Board Minutes as previously circulated by email were unanimously adopted. 

4. Matters Arising

The following matters arising were dealt with, and the person responsible for follow up action indicated:

(a).  Canon Canning's Slides – Secretary Don to email Gov Godden's secretary, Linda, to enquire whether Gov Godden has received President Kenn's letter.

 

(b).  Archives Building – Bob reported that he had spoken again to David Carty about inspecting the contents of the archives room.  He is still awaiting a response.

 

(c).  AMR money – Kenn is to review the draft letter previously sent to him by Secretary Don and will send it to Mrs Kathleen Rogers.

 

(d). Original Medallions – There was a general discussion on the variousl press releases published in the media over the past week concerning the recovery of some 100 original medallions in the USA by the FBI.  Kenn will speak to Foster Rogers about our concern that the medallions be not rushed back to Anguilla if this will interfere with the FBI's prosecution in the USA of the principal perpetrators.

 

(e). 2009 AGM – There was a discussion on the question of the intellectual property issues surrounding Bob Rogers' speech to the members at the AGM.  It was concluded that Bob owned the copyright in the contents of the speech, but Wycliffe held the copyright in the digital recording he had made with our consent.  It was agreed that Jan would prepare a simple form of transfer of his rights to the Society, which Don will explain to Bob and seek his consent.  After that, we will discuss with Wycliffe the use of the tape by the Society.

 

(f). Antiquities Act:  Wall Blake House:  There was a discussion on the exchange of emails between Don and Fiona Curtis in which she advised that the proper party to discuss the future of the Wallblake house listing under the Antiquities Act is the Bishop who holds title.  It was agreed that the point was not to discuss any aspect of the titlte with the Bishop, but to alert the management team controlling the use of the House as to the Board's intentions to apply to the Governor to list the House under the Act.  The Board wishes to explain the advantages to the public and to the management team, and to seek the support of the management team when the matter comes to be discussed with the government and the Bishiop.  Steve will attempt to set up a meeting at Ferryboat Inn in the near future.

 

(g). Annual Returns:  Don had been in touch with Graham by email circulated to members, but there had been no action taken.  There is a need to ensure that (a) the Society's annual returns are filed following each year's AGM; and (b) to ensure that the Board is correctly listed by filing a new correct return.  Don will follow up with Graham.

 

(h). Historical Tours:  Deferred for discussion with Aileen.

 

(i). Website:  Steve was congratulated on the updating of the website.  Members were asked to send in more material.  Kenn undertook to contact John Crock for a digital copy of his article on the archaeology of Anguilla for putting on the site.  Don undertook to send in another historical article for posting.

 

(j). Lydia Gumbs Memorial Award:  Kenn reported that he and Steve had handed over the placque to members of the Gumbs family.  Ash Hodge had done a good article on the presentation.  Steve would apply to Nat Hodge for a copy of the article for the website, or link to it if it was on the Anguillian Newspaper website.

 

(k) University of Southampton visit:  Steve reported that he was in discussions with Matthew Billington about the boat and diving equipment that would be needed for the upcoming visit.

 

(l) Alfred Webster archives:  Kenn reported that he was awaiting the return of Aileen to follow up with Louvan Webster.

 

(m) Dues:  It was agreed that Steve would send out a simple invoice to all members and previous members of the Society soliciting payment of dues for the year.

 

(n) Arthur M Allan archives:  Kenn reported that he had spoken to Foster Rogers, but he did not have an address for Mr Allan.  Bob undertook to attempt to locate an address so that we could contact Mr Allan to find out if he had any archives relating to Anguilla.

 

(o) Convention for the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage:  Members discussed the failure of the UK to sign the Convention, and its impact on our ability to bring marine archaeologists doing work in the waters of Anguilla under its terms.  Lilli was requesting that the Society might at least adopt the protocols as “best practice” for Anguilla.  Bob had previously circulated the members with copies of the Convention and with links to variousl websites that discussed the issues.  It was agreed that the Society would formally adopt the provisions of the Convention as “best practice” in Anguilla.  Bob will work on a press release to this effect and send it to Kenn for publishing to the media.

 

Don

 

 

 

 

 

Kenn

 

 

 

Kenn

 

 

 

 

 

 

Don

Jan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Don

 

 

 

 

Aileen

 

 

Kenn

Don

 

 

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

Kenn

Steve

 

Steve

 

 

 

Bob

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bob

Kenn

 

 

 

 

5.  Correspondence – None.

 

6.  New Business

(i) Cadet Corps guns:  Jan brought to the attention of the Board the existence of about 30 elderly, disabled .303 Lee Enfield rifles lying in the offices of the Chamber of Commerce.  They were rusting and disintegrating.  Members discussed the possibility of putting together a small project to clean them up, and preserve them.  It was agreed that Don would contact Neville Hamilton, the last Commandant of the Corps, and obtain permission for members of the Board to inspect them.

(ii) Letter concerning marine archaeology:  There was a discussion on the contents of a misguided letter in the last issue of the Anguillian Newspaper concerning AMR and marine archaeology issues in Anguilla.  It was agreed that it was best to ignore it.

 

 

 

 

Don

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.  Any Other Business – No other business

 

8. Date of next meeting and adjournment

(a) Next Board Meeting to be on Tuesday 9 June at 4:15 pm at the same place. 

(b) The meeting adjourned at 6:25 pm

 

 

 

 

Submitted: Don Mitchell CBE QC

 

 

 

Return To Minutes Directory