Anguilla Archaeological and Historical Society Limited

BOARD MEETING

HELD AT YOUTH AND CULTURE CONFERENCE ROOM ON 2 SEPTEMBER 2008

 

PRESENT:

Kenn Banks

Bob Conrich

Steve Donahue

Don Mitchell

Aileen Smith

Graham Crabtree

 

ABSENT:

            JoAsh Proctor (with apologies)

 

1. Commencement: The meeting began at 4:30 pm. 

 

2. Agenda: The following Agenda was adopted:

 

AGENDA

1.         Adoption of Agenda

2.         Adoption of the Minutes of 12 August 2008

3.         Matters Arising

4.         Correspondence

5.         New Business

6.         Any Other Business

7.         Adjournment

 

3. Adoption of Minutes of 12 August 2008

The Board minutes of 12 August 2008 were unanimously adopted. 

4. Matters Arising from the Minutes of 1 July 2008

The following matters arising were dealt with, and the person responsible for follow up action indicated:

 

4.2(ii).  Reinstatement of Company – Graham reported that the company was in good order and that no further action was required.

 

4.2(iii).  Christmas Cards – Steve reported that he had obtained 1,000 cards at US$.70c each.  Members each took a stock of sample cards with prices for distribution.

 

4.2(iv).  Membership Drive – Steve reported that there were three new members since the last meeting.

 

4.2(v).  Historic Signs – It was agreed to defer this item until December.

 

4.2(vi).  Booklet – Don reported that he had read the folder of material, and that in his opinion there was not enough material for a booklet.  Aileen said that she thought there might be additional material with her daughter Adele in Atlanta.  After discussion it was agreed that the booklet should be a general publication of articles, including many that had been published locally.

 

4.2(vii).  Lilli Grout's Visit – Bob reported that Lilli had circulated her written report to members.  It was agreed that it should go on the website and also be circulated to the members by email.  Bob will thank her on our behalf.

 

4.2(viii).  Representative to ANT – Steve reported that Bob's nomination had been communicated to the ANT Council, and he was now receiving communications.

 

6(a).  Membership Cards – Not done yet.

 

6(b).  Website – Steve reported that the draft is up.  He will try to find more stuff to put on it and make suggestions for improvement.  It was agreed that there should be a “members only” site in addition to the public pages.  It was also agreed that there should be a way for readers to volunteer their services on a list of possible projects.

 

6(c).  Cap Juluca Project – Ken reported that he had spoken to the Assets Manager for the new owners.  He had said that all they are planning to do this year is remedial work on the existing villas.  He has agreed that once they prepare plans in a year's time to do new excavations, he will share the plans with us and we can agree on whether to do any rescue archaeology.

 

6(c).  Email address - Steve reported that the email address is up and running and will go to the Secretary and himself.

 

6(e). NBA Safety Deposit Box – Steve undertook to ask Farah of the ANT to prepare a copy of the inventory list for the Society's files.

 

7. Report from Treasurer – Steve will circulate a report on the Society's financial position.

 

8. Circulating Minutes – It was agreed that the Secretary should only circulate the Board Minutes to the general members after they have been approved at a subsequent Board meeting.

 

 

 

 

Members

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Don

Bob

 

 

 

 

 

Don

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Steve

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.  Correspondence - None

 

6.  New Business

(a)  Old Cotton Gin Factory:  Aileen reported that Scott Hauser had taken over the old site.  She and Iain had visited it and taken photographs.  Scott was looking for recommendations from the Society.  It was agreed that Aileen should encourage him to preserve and to exhibit the equipment.

(b) Draft National Trust Bill: Bob and Steve reported on progress of the Bill through the ANT Council.  It was agreed that they would bring up at the next Council meeting a proposal that all ANT documents should normally be shared with the Board of the Society in the interest of transparency and accountability. 

 

 

Aileen

 

 

 

 

 

Steve

Bob

 

7.  Any Other Business -

(a) Canon Canning's Slides – Members discussed the conversation that Hanmar Dixon, Anguilla's last Chief Secretary, had had with the Secretary before he left Anguilla.  Canon Canning's family had sent two boxes of slides to Dixon for delivery to the Society on Canning's death some twenty years ago.  Dixon had suggested to Secretary Don on handing over the boxes that Governor Charles Godden had removed some of the slides for “national security” reasons.  Don is to ask Kathy Haskins to contact Godden's secretary about approaching Godden and asking him to return the slides relating to the Anguilla Revolution that Godden had supposedly removed from the collection.  Aileen enquired whether there were any cups or T-shirts of the Society in storage that might be sold at the Governor's annual party.  Steve undertook to search the boxes to see if there was any suitable stuff.  Members undertook to make enquiries to discover what had happened to the boxes of slides over the past decades.

 

 

 

Don

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8. Date of next meeting and adjournment

(a) Next Board Meeting to be on Tuesday 7 October at 4:15 pm at the same place. 

(b) The meeting adjourned at 6:15 pm

 

 

 

 

Submitted: Don Mitchell CBE QC