Anguilla Archaeological and Historical Society Limited

BOARD MEETING

HELD AT YOUTH AND CULTURE CONFERENCE ROOM ON 3 FEBRUARY 2009

 

PRESENT:

Kenn Banks President

Steve Donahue Treasurer

Don Mitchell Secretary

Bob Conrich

 

ABSENT:

Graham Crabtree

Joash Proctor

Aileen Smith

1. Commencement: The meeting began at 4:45 pm.

2. Agenda: The following Agenda was adopted:

 

AGENDA

1. Adoption of Agenda

2. Adoption of the Minutes of 7 January 2009

3. Matters Arising

4. Correspondence

5. New Business

6. Any Other Business

7. Adjournment

 

3. Adoption of Minutes of 7 January 2009

The Board Minutes as previously circulated by email were unanimously adopted.

4. Matters Arising

The following matters arising were dealt with, and the person responsible for follow up action indicated:

(a). Canon Canning's Slides President Ken is still studying the letter drafted by Secretary Don.

 

(b). Archives Building Don reported that he had been in touch with the Judicial Department and had offered the services of the members of the Society.

 

(c). AMR money Kenn reported that he had not yet heard from Carl Harrigan, PS Finance, on the status of the funds. Carl Harrigan is now officially on pre-retirement leave, but he will be staying on in a consultancy role until his replacement has been hired, so he will continue to press him for a report.

 

(d). Original Medallions Kenn reported that Dr John Crock had advised that it would be better to wait until we had been officially informed of the arrival of the medallions in Anguilla to make a news story of our efforts to recover them. Bob undertook to ask John Crock for an update on the status of the medallions.

 

(e). Antiquities Act Don reported that he had circulated the Act as requested. It was agreed that Steve would post a copy on the website.

 

(f) 2009 AGM (i) It was agreed to hold the AGM at 7:00 pm on Tuesday 24 March at the Soroptomists Conference Centre.

 

(ii) Don undertook to ask Colville Petty to do a presentation for 20-30 minutes on a subject of his choice, preferably some new research he is doing.

 

(iii) The Lydia Gumbs Memorial Award would be presented to Rendezvous Bay Hotel at the AGM for its support of archaeology during the year 2008. Don is to come up with a first draft of the inscription and circulate it. Steve will discuss with Cheddy engraving it in bronze on mahogany.

 

(iv) Don will make arrangements for securing the key to the building on the day of the meeting.

 

(v) Steve will send out the Notice to all members once it is finalised.

 

(vi) Don will do a first draft of the Notice and circulate it for fine-tuning.

 

(vii) Don is to ask Graham to check and advise on the election of members of the Board.

 

(f). Website Steve undertook to put all past minutes up on the website, after Don re-sends them to him.

Kenn

 

 

 

 

Kenn

 

 

 

 

Bob

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

Don

 

 

Don

 

 

Don

 

 

Steve

 

Don

 

Don

 

Steve

5. Correspondence Steve reported there was one piece of correspondence. It was a letter from the Statistical Department with a form to be filled out by all Non-Profit Organisations. Don agreed to fill it out and submit it by the deadline of 6 March.

Don

6. New Business -

         i.            Antiquities Act: Ebenezer Methodist Church Building It was agreed that the Society should urge the Governor to list the Church building as a protected site under the Act. Secretary Don is to write to Rev Niles, Superintendent Minister, attaching a copy of the Act, and inviting comments. [methodism@anguillanet.com].

       ii.            Antiquities Act: Wall Blake House It was agreed to approach the Wall Blake House Management Committee with the idea that the Society should urge the Governor to list the property as a protected site under the Act. Secretary Don is to write to Fiona Curtis, attaching a copy of the Act. Steve will supply her email address.

      iii.            Annual Returns There was a discussion on the exercise that Graham was presently engaged in of filing an annual return with the Registry of Companies that was apparently designed to prevent the company from being struck off for being in default of filing the return due in January. It was agreed that since the AGM was usually held in March, Graham should be requested to file a new Return at an appropriate time afterwards, so that in future the Return would show who the members of the new Board were.

     iv.            Historical Tours Members agreed to reconsider the possibility of holding historical tours under the aegis of the Society. Members would give it some thought and circulate their ideas.

 

 

Don

 

 

Don

 

 

 

Don

Graham

 

 

Members

 

7. Any Other Business - None

 

8. Date of next meeting and adjournment

(a) Next Board Meeting to be on Tuesday 3 March at 4:15 pm at the same place.

(b) The meeting adjourned at 6:05 pm

 

 

 

 

Submitted: Don Mitchell CBE QC