Anguilla Archaeological and Historical Society Limited

MINUTES OF A BOARD MEETING

HELD AT YOUTH AND CULTURE CONFERENCE ROOM ON 9 June 2009

 

PRESENT:

Kenn Banks President

Steve Donahue Treasurer

Don Mitchell Secretary

Joash Proctor

Bob Conrich

Jan Liebaers (Invited)

 

ABSENT:

Aileen Smith Vice-President [off island]

 

1. Commencement: The meeting began at 4:40 pm.

 

2. Agenda: The following Agenda was adopted:

 

AGENDA

1. Adoption of Agenda

2. Adoption of the Board Minutes of 5 May 2009

3. Matters Arising

4. Correspondence

5. New Business

6. Any Other Business

7. Adjournment

 

3. Adoption of the Board Minutes of 5 May 2009

The Board Minutes as previously circulated by email were unanimously adopted.

4. Matters Arising

The following matters arising were dealt with, and the person responsible for follow up action indicated:

(a). Canon Canning's Slides President Ken reported that he had that day received a response from Gov Godden. The letter was read. Secretary Don was asked to come up with a suggested response.

 

(b). Archives Building Nothing new.

 

(c). AMR money Nothing new.

 

(d). Original Medallions There was a general discussion on the ceremony on Anguilla Day when an FBI agent had handed over to the Chief Minister a folder containing about 20 of the 100 medallions. Questions were asked concerning the whereabouts of the 20, and of the balance, but no one knew the answer. It was agreed that President Ken would write to PS Foster Rogers enquiring whether the medallions handed back had been placed in safe keeping in the police vault along with the others handed over by AMR. The letter would also enquire if there was any information about the location of the remaining medallions recovered by the FBI.

 

(e). 2009 AGM There was a discussion on the draft agreement prepared for Bob Rogers to sign assigning rights relating to his speech to the Society. It was agreed that Don should show the draft to Bob and discuss it with Bob and his family. The draft for Wycliff Richardson to sign was also approved for use after Bob has signed.

 

(f). Antiquities Act: Wall Blake House: It was agreed to proceed with a request to government to designate Wallblake house. Members will read the new Act and will discuss the way forward by email.

 

(g). Annual Returns: Don reported that he had sent a follow up email to Graham, but had had no response. Don to follow up with Graham.

 

(h). Historical Tours: Deferred for discussion with Aileen.

 

(i). Website: Treasurer Steve requested volunteers to work with him on the website. Jan and Don offered to help.

 

(j). Lydia Gumbs Memorial Award: Steve is still working with Nat Hodge on linking to the article

 

(k) University of Southampton visit: Bob brought up several items under this heading, and the following decisions were made:

(i) Fundraising to cover dive expenses. It was agreed to discuss with Lilli when she arrived the possibility of inviting members of the public to participate on payment of a contribution towards gas expenses.

(ii) Summer placement for schoolchildren. Joash agreed to speak to Anita Ruan about the possibility of student participation.

(iii) Use of Fisheries boat. President Ken reported that James had confirmed that Lilli could have the boat for 3 days a week during the course of the project. Government would provide a vehicle and gas.

(iv) Dive tanks. Treasurer Steve reported that tanks were ready, but weights were proving to be a problem. He asked members to look out for any diving weights.

 

(l) Alfred Webster archives: Awaiting the return of Aileen to follow up with Louvan Webster.

 

(m) Dues: Steve reported that he had sent out an emailed invoice for dues. Don is to send membership cards to all members paying their subscriptions. Steve will give him the addresses.

 

(n) Arthur M Allan archives: Bob and Kenn reported that they had spoken to Mr Allan who had informed them that Gifford Connor had a pamphlet of his findings and photographs. Kenn will contact Gifford to find out what exactly he had.

 

(o) Convention for the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage: The draft press release was approved but it was agreed that it was too long and needed to be shortened for the radio. The long version could do for the press. Kenn will revise the version for the radio and will send the longer version to the press.

 

(p) Cadet Corps guns: Don to follow through with Nevil Hamilton and report to members by email.

 

Don

 

 

Bob

 

 

Kenn

 

 

 

Kenn

 

 

 

 

 

 

Don

 

 

 

 

 

Members

 

 

 

 

Don

 

Aileen

 

 

Jan

Don

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

Lilli

 

 

Joash

 

 

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

Aileen

 

 

 

Don

 

 

 

 

Kenn

 

 

 

Bob

Kenn

 

 

Don

 

5. Correspondence None.

 

6. New Business None

 

7. Any Other Business No other business

 

8. Date of next meeting and adjournment

(a) Next Board Meeting to be on Tuesday 7 July at 4:15 pm at the same place.

(b) The meeting adjourned at 6:15 pm

 

 

 

 

Submitted: Don Mitchell CBE QC